Looking for a new way to manage your requirements in 2021 but not sure where to start? Selecting a modern requirements management tool might be the right next step. A growing number of organizations are exploring and adopting product development solutions that manage the complexity that comes with designing connected systems.
Requirements are the foundation of a smooth-running process and are the essential inputs to your mission-critical projects. Effectively managing the flow of changes and refinements early in your lifecycle will significantly reduce both quality issues downstream and the volatility that plagues so many projects – and the right requirements management solution can make all the difference.
The right requirements management solution can help manage the complexity of product, systems, and software development, but it also allows teams to:
- Build higher-quality products with fewer defects and rework
- Get to market more efficiently with fewer people and spending less money
- Capitalize on opportunity faster through earlier launch dates and a prolonged market window
Another thing to consider when selecting a requirements management solution, is whether it allows for living requirements. Living requirements are becoming a competitive advantage in the innovation economy. If your requirements management solution doesn’t allow for living requirements, it’s like that your team will fall behind.
Differences between static and living requirements
Living requirements address the root causes to deliver increased productivity, faster speed of delivery, and risk reduction. This includes all areas of the complex product, systems, and software delivery lifecycle that can experience negative outcomes and should be actively managed to reduce the likelihood of occurrence.
- Performance | Product fails to perform specified functions
- Quality | Product defects are discovered by customers post-launch
- Delays | Product release deadlines are missed
- Fit to Requirements | Product fails to meet the needs of customers
- Compliance Gap | Gap identified late and extreme cost to rework and fix
- Regulatory Action | Product is not approved for launch or recalled post-launch
Whether you’re building products, systems, or software, check out this handy checklist to make sure you’re getting everything you need in a requirements management solution in order to improve efficiencies, cut down on costly rework, and mitigate negative product development outcomes.